I’ve always thought that one of the reasons that acoustic guitars are more popular for new musicians is that you only needed a guitar. The electric guitar requires a few more pieces. The best guitar and amp packages solve this problem by giving you everything you need in one nice electric guitar starter kit!
Most of these packages have other items like gig bags, tuners, and guitar straps included which is a nice plus. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone to the store just to find one of these pieces. Not that I’m complaining about going to the guitar store! A lot of them are pretty basic and will require upgrades over time, but it’s a nice bonus to have them when you need them.
My friends and I spent a few afternoons playing different instruments to find the four best guitar and amp packages currently on the market! We picked the best overall option, a budget pick, and an acoustic-electric guitar to give everyone an option that is perfect for them!
Best Electric Guitar and Amp Packages
Yamaha GigMaker EG Electric Guitar Pack
- PAC012 Pacifica Electric Guitar Metallic blue
- 15-watt Yamaha guitar amp
- Picks, straps, tuner and cable
- Protective gig bag
The overall best guitar and amp package I found after playing a ton of different options was the Yamaha GigMaker EG Electric guitar pack. This package features a PAC012 Pacifica Electric Guitar, a line of guitars known for their great playability and tone.
Part of the reason I think this is such a great guitar for a beginner is the versatile pickup setup. With 2x single-coil pickups on the neck and a humbucker bridge pickup, you really get a guitar that can be played for a wide variety of genres. The vintage-style tremolo bridge is always a good choice, and the guitar comes with a fairly standard 2 knob volume and tone control setup.
The amp included with the package is great for the price range as well. The listing says it’s a 15-watt unit, but I’m not sure if it’s quite that powerful. Either way, it is a solid first amp that is as good, if not better, than any of the amps in other packages.
This guitar was the best all-around value and option we found in a guitar and amp package, which is why we gave it the nod over our next pick. If you want a traditional Fender Strat sound and tone, that’s your pick…. otherwise, grab yourself the Yamaha GigMaker!
Fender Squier Stratocaster Electric Guitar Bundle
- Modern C-neck for the ultimate play comfort
- Tune into a variety of modes effortlessly with the 2-point tremolo system
- Be it the combination of middle and neck, or a bridge pickup, the single coils make this a breeze
- Easy adjustment with the two point system
- Included Fender Frontman 10G amplifier delivers full sound from its 6″ speaker, with a gain control and overdrive switch that rock guitar tones from tube-emulated overdrive to full-strength ultra-saturated distortion – perfect for blues, metal and famous Fender clean tone
There are few things in music as authentic and legendary as the clean, bright tone from a Fender Stratocaster. This package allows you to get your hands on Fender’s entry-level Stratocaster for quite a low price. The three single-coil pickups scream Fender and you get exactly what you’d expect with this offering.
Probably the best thing Fender has done in recent years to make the instrument more beginner-friendly is the introduction of the C-neck. This design really makes fretting some barre chords and anything where you need to wrap your thumb much easier for the average person.
The Frontman 10g Amp that comes with the package is pretty much what you’d expect from a 10G. It’s going to be great for small spaces and lower volumes, but like any amp that is this small will struggle if you really try to push it. It’s a great starter amp for learning and if you ever get to the point you want to perform then you will be able to upgrade to a better amp!
Donner DST 100S Electric Guitar Beginner Starter Package – BEST BUDGET OPTION!!
- [H-S-S pickups] Donner electric guitar has two classic Single-coil pickups and one power 203S Humbucker pickup. 5 ways pickup switches and 2-tone & Volume controls for choosing. Suitable for both beginners and professionals.H-S-S pickups are not just perfect for a Texas blues/rock sound, but for other musical styles too.
- [Canadian maple neck with “C”shaped profile] Donner DST-100 beginner electric guitar bundle uses purpleheart wood fingerboard, poplar solid body, Canadian maple neck with “C” shaped profile, classic design, comfortable fit.
- [22 copper-nickel frets] The 39-inch electric guitar features a pick up selector switch, a volume knob, and two different tone knobs. 22 copper-nickel frets with fret position marks on the neck and top of the fingerboard, and also is smooth and friendly to your hands.
- [All-in-one beginner package] Donner electric guitar set comes with a portable amplifier, 600D quality bag, capo, strap, extra string, digital tuner, amp cable, and picks as gifts. Also with free online lessons, you can play guitar immediately when you receive them.
- [Portable guitar MINI amplifier] The amp comes with an amp cord and has two-tone channels. Easy Control & Little Size & Tube Sound.1/8″ auxiliary input jack for jam-along with media player or CD, 1/8″ headphone output jack for silent practice.
If you are looking for the best budget electric guitar and amp package I was impressed with the Donner DST-100S. It played and felt fairly similar to the Squier Strat, with the exception of a humbucker bridge pickup rather than a 3rd single-coil.
At about half the price of the Yamaha and the Squier, this is a great option for a beginner electric guitar if you are on a tight budget.
Pyle Acoustic-Electric Cutaway Guitar and Amp Package
- FULL SCALE GUITAR LENGTH: 41” size guitar best for students 12 years and older. Lessons, recitals, band rehearsals, performances, or practicing at home. It has spruce body style great for beginners and children learning to play guitar
- ELECTRIC EQ HARDWARE: Plug it into an amplifier and go electric. This electric-acoustic guitar is equipped w/ 4-band equalizer which includes onboard digital tuner, volume bass middle treble & presence control, low-battery display
- CUTAWAY W/ NATURAL MATTE FINISH: Handcrafted construction with spruce plywood body w/ linden plywood at the back & sides, natural matte finish w/ white ABS & celluloid inlays binding, X-shape bracing, 2-way truss rod, and full die-cast machine head
- STEEL STRINGS: Provide brighter crisper sound than nylon alternatives. Total Length: 30”; Scale Length: 20.3”; Body Length: 14.6”; Fingerboard Material: high-density man-made wood; Frets:20; Body Material: Spruce plywood, Linden plywood
- INCLUDED PRACTICE AMPLIFIER: Featuring drive switch, volume, treble, and bass control. Headphone output for silent practice. Enhanced high-frequency response. Portable and lightweight for easy transport
I really wanted to find at least one acoustic-electric guitar and amp package to add to this list and the Pyle was the clear winner. In fact, I didn’t find anything for less than about double the price of this package that I liked more (or close, for that fact).
The guitar itself is a full-sized dreadnought with a cutaway. The cutaway is nice on an acoustic-electric since electric guitar players tend to spend more time at the higher frets and this shape lends itself to that well. The 4 band equalizer includes an onboard tuner, volume, bass/treble, and presence control along with a low battery display. The instrument really isn’t anything special as far as components, but it is well constructed and had a much brighter sound acoustically than many models I played.
I, unfortunately, didn’t get to test out the amp that comes with this package. The owner of the Pyle that I played had already upgraded the amp. He mentioned the amp was fine, just not powerful enough for some of the shows he played.
The big drawback I could see with this instrument is many beginner packages like this are bought as first instruments for kids. The dreadnought size is generally a little too big for kids under 12 or so.
Epiphone Les Paul Electric Guitar Package
- Epiphone’s Les Paul Player Pack has everything you need to start playing guitar right away
- It includes a genuine Les Paul Special-II LTD guitar featuring two classic hum bucker pickups and a 10-watt Electra guitar amp with a 10ft guitar cable
- Epiphone also includes a clip-on headstock chromatic tuner, a guitar strap, medium picks, and an easy-to-carry gig bag
- And best of all for new players, the Les Paul Player Pack comes with free downloadable guitar lessons from media
Last but not least, the legendary Les Paul. While I’ve noticed over the years that many beginners lean toward the shape of the Stratocaster thanks to its more widespread coverage in popular TV and movies, I don’t think any electric guitar list is complete without a Les Paul!
The Epiphone Les Paul Special-II is set up in a very traditional way with the duel humbucker pickups, three-way pickup control, and tone and volume knobs. Unlike many instruments made at this price range, the Special-II is made from Alder, Ebony, and Rosewood… all woods found on much more expensive instruments.
The amp has two nice features that are often left off entry-level models. It has a headphone output jack so you can practice without waking up parents, neighbors, or the dog, as well as an Aux-in port so you can play along with external audio devices through the amp. That being said, the amp is missing a few things. Many Les Paul players like to have basic effects like reverb, overdrive, and delay, with their amp, which this one doesn’t have. In fact, for many players, the amp will probably be the first thing upgraded from this kit.
Best Guitar and Amp Packages – Buying Guide
When looking for a beginner guitar and amp package there are some basic things that we look for. The most important is the guitar itself. Most of the other components of the package only matter if (1) you plan to upgrade this guitar to something better and/or (2) if you are a beginner and aren’t planning on upgrading anytime soon.
The amp is what most people tend to be looking for with a starter pack, so it’s usually worth taking the time to find out more about it before making any purchasing decisions. The amp is also the most likely part of an entry-level package to need replacing, so you may as well find out what your options are to make sure you are satisfied with your purchase.
The guitar itself will be mostly up to personal preference. If you can get a solid wood body for a beginner electric guitar, but most of the time you’ll end up with a laminate of some sort. This may be a bummer, but it’s not terribly unlikely. The important thing to remember about these boxes is that most of them will play and sound pretty similar. It’s really vital in this category to find a good brand that you’re happy with.
If you decide to upgrade at some point in the future then make sure you do so carefully and cautiously. We’ve got a few guides about great electric guitars that are in many cases a step up from the package ones and are a great place to start!
The Final Note
Hopefully, you found this article a helpful resource for beginners looking to buy the best guitar and amp packages for their first instrument! There are a TON of electric guitar starter kits and I think my friends and I played all of them to provide you with multiple options and a good idea of the strengths and weaknesses of each instrument. With any luck, you’ll know exactly what instrument you are picking and the search to find the right one for you is over!
Last update on 2023-09-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API