It is important as a budding musician to learn the easy things first. Not only will you make noticeable progress faster but you’ll enjoy the journey too. We would never recommend a beginner to try to play a song with 12 different chords, or ask them to fingerpick, or even to play an advanced strumming pattern. It is setting them up for failure. For this reason we’ve compiled a list of easy ukulele songs that you can play with just 4 chords!
We like to teach four chords to start with to start to unlock a lot of popular songs. Once these four are mastered you can start to learn one or two more as they come up in songs. By the time you know 10 chords you’ll look like an advanced Luthier to most people!
We also think that playing ukulele songs that are easy to play is extremely important when learning the ukulele. If you learn to play a beginner ukulele song by Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Ed Sheeran, Vance Joy or Jason Mraz that your friends can sing along with it will motivate you to learn other chords, songs and strumming patterns that otherwise might just frustrate you.
Like this list? Check out our 8 Tips To Learning the Ukulele Quickly!
The 4 Chords You Need to Play Beginner Ukulele Songs
When playing ukulele as a beginner we recommend you start off with 3 basic chords. Once you learn the chord progressions switching between those you can add the fourth later. The 3 super simple basic chords are Am, C, F, and these three chords make up hundreds of popular ukulele songs.
Pretty easy right? The C and A minor chords require a single fret to be held down, and the F chord simply requires you to add the 1st fret of the E (2nd) String to the A Minor chord.
The G chord involves 3 fingers, but most players find the chord shape to be simple and easy to learn.
Guitarist will recognize the shape of the G chord as the same as that of a D Major chord on a six-string guitar.
With these four easy chords you’ll be able to play all of the songs on this list (and a number that we didn’t have space to include!).
If you want to explore the rest of the Major, Minor and 7th Ukulele chords, there is a full list with diagrams at UkeGuides. That being said, until you learn to play the simple ukulele chords there is no need to rush, many ukulele players never learn the minor or 7th variations and still can play a ton of songs on the ukulele.
30 Easy Ukulele Songs For Beginners
Now that you know the 4 chords you need we want you to remember a few things before you start playing. Make these songs as easy to play as possible when learning them by simply strumming 4 down-strokes per bar. If that is too difficult simply play one down strum, but make sure you are tapping your foot to keep time!
1. Riptide – Vance Joy
2. Birdplane – The Axis of AwesomeYou may not recognize this song by the name, or even the band, this is definitely a one hit wonder for most people.The tab we’ve linked to actually asks for a standard Amajor chord at one point during the song. We recommend playing with the Am until you’re comfortable playing the major chord, then adding the level of difficulty!
3. I’m Yours – Jason MrazDon’t have a Ukulele to play yet? Check out our Guide to Great Beginner Ukuleles!
4. Love the Way You Lie – Eminem ft. RihannaThere was a time when you couldn’t turn on the radio without hearing this haunting, powerful song. If you can sing Rihanna’s part, or know someone who can, this is an amazing ukulele tune to play!
5. Hey Soul Sister – Train (C,G, Am, F)Hey Soul Sister is simply one of our absolute favorite songs to play while learning the ukulele. This upbeat hit was made for the instrument.
6. Save Tonight – Eagle Eye CherryThis song is just simply FUN to play. 4 chords, quick changes, a lot of down strums, a mixture of hammer-ons and string muting give this song an amazing sound.Now, we’d recommend you start with a nice slow easy pace for the down strums, get your chord changes down, then increase the difficulty! You will be able to play this song and have fun all the way from beginner to advanced!
7. Just the Way You Are – Bruno Mars
8. It’s my Life – Bon JoviThis huge hit from an 80’s is not exactly what comes to mind when you think of popular ukulele songs, but that doesn’t make it any less fun to play. Bon Jovi used easy chords and still topped the charts with this electric hit song from ‘after their prime’. We love playing this anthem on both the Ukulele and the guitar.
9. Stay – Rihanna
10. Self Esteem – The OffspringEvery time we play this on the ukulele we have to chuckle. This ballad of teen angst sounds pretty funny on the happy little uke.If you’re goal is to turn heads, get a few laughs, and play something that no one else at the gathering would think to play, then you could do a lot worse than this jam.
11. All of the Stars – Ed Sheeran
12. Pokerface – Lady GagaOh, Gaga. What can we say. Everyone knows who this pop superstar is and her music is something you simply can’t avoid in the last 10 years. So what do you do? We went with it, learned to play her biggest hit, and are perfectly happy with our decision!
Is 4 chords too many? Check out 8 songs that only require 2 chords!